POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Object oriented POV scene language? : Re: Object oriented POV scene language? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object oriented POV scene language?
From: Disnel
Date: 26 Jul 2000 11:23:50
Message: <397F0286.85776D5C@itam.cas.cz>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <3975DC6C.3C023FF2@itam.cas.cz>, Disnel <dis### [at] itamcascz>
> wrote:
>
> > 2) No one talked about virtual methods, although its big advantage, I
> > think.
>
> I don't think they would apply to POV-Script...their main use is when
> referring to objects by pointers, and POV-Script doesn't have pointers.
> I think that *all* methods would behave "virtual", separate bindings
> would be useless in POV-Script.

But what are POV #declares? They can be taken as references, I think.
You are right with virtual methods, all would behave "virtual"

> > This is true when you don't allow changing objects after they have been
> > parsed, but I think, that can be one great advantage, mainly in
> > persistent animations.
>
> I don't see what you mean...why would changing the object be a problem?

For example I have two spheres and my new object, which connects
these two spheres with cylinder. When one sphere was changed during
animation, my connecting object need to be notified about it.
Where it contains only copies of sphere, it knows nothing about
change.

> If you mean adding members to an existing variable, then don't do that!
> It would be like trying to add variables and methods to a C++ class.
> Just make a new object from that one, which has the additional members
> you need.

I don't mean anything else.

> If you mean modifying an object which has been placed in the scene, and
> isn't a variable, then (again) don't do that! Modify the object, and
> *then* put it in the scene. This will work with persistent variables
> just fine...

Here we don't understand: you are thinking about object oriented
preprocesor and I'am thinking about object oriented scene during
rendering and animation, I'am right?